Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Are All Baked Goods Lies Or Just The Cake?

Sometimes Wall Street folks like to make bets to amuse themselves. Little things like, “Will the unemployment number be over or under four hundred and thirty thousand?” or “Nikkei above 8,000 at the end of trading?” or “Can we really take down the entire global financial system by applying excessive leverage to buy securities we don’t understand?” You know, stuff like that --just for fun. I don’t wager for money (more due to poverty than any sense of moral superiority), but enjoy seeing what people will do simply because there is a wager available.

I’ve seen people wear boating life jackets for an entire day, drink a bottle of Tabasco sauce without stopping for breath, try to eat one of every item in the vending machine, and walk past the CNBC camera six times in a minute when an interview is being conducted on live television. The next day we did really mean things to him. I’m kidding of course.

The victim was a woman.

______________________________

Today there were a few dozen pies delivered to the floor. No one seems to know why, but hey -- free pie. The kid who sits next me was excited about pie and was wondering which one he should try. He jokingly said, “Maybe I should have a piece of each one to get ready for Thanksgiving.” Not wanting him to miss out on a chance for pasty-related immortality, I challenged him to eat a full slice of all five types. Of course this was after he’d eaten three tacos for lunch. Unable to resist the bet or the opportunity for a spontaneous diabetic coma, he accepted.

He just polished off piece number three (crumb-top apple). When asked how he was doing he responded, “Pie makes me sad.”

No, there is no point to this post. Just a fantastic quote that I’ll be using sporadically and inappropriately throughout the holiday season.

Happy Thanksgiving.

3 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

So Daniel...does pie make you sad? And please, for the record (and be honest -- this is for posterity) how would you rate this Thanksgiving?

December 01, 2008  
Blogger daniel said...

pie does not make me sad. i like pie, particularly pumpkin. didn't you read my dessert ranking of some months ago?

this was the best thanksgiving meal ever. other than slightly dry potatos (my fault, should have bought some heavy cream) it was the best meal i've ever eaten. a tour de force of culinary delights.

December 01, 2008  
Blogger PassTheChips said...

I feel late to the party, as Thanksgiving is several weeks past, but it's a post about pie. I love pie, especially sweet potato pie and key lime pie. I think I'm going to walk across the street and get me a piece.

December 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home