Monday, November 24, 2008

And Leap Year Is Downright Mindblowing

I’m not blessed with an abundance of “people skills”. This isn’t something of which I’m proud and to be honest I try harder than you might think. Not that you think about such things because you have better stuff to occupy your time. Also, you have something in your teeth, but I only point it out because we’re friends. Anyway, interpersonal relationships are not my forte.

One side effect of this deficit is that I often ask different people similar questions when making conversation. My current question is, “What are your plans for Thanksgiving?” I’ve probably asked this half a dozen times today and received an unsurprising array of answers, bar one. Fewer than ten minutes ago one of the young new employees stopped by my desk to offer me a treat. She had a selection of cookies and brownies scavenged from a meeting. I wasn’t thrilled to be interrupted, but hey -- free cookies. I asked her my trying-to-show-interest-in-you-without-having-any-clue-how question of the week. Her response? “Well, Thanksgiving is on Thursday this year so there’s not as much time to get away as in some other years. I’m just going to Greenwich to visit my aunt and uncle.”

This is the future of Wall Street. Be afraid.

4 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Wow - maybe even I could get a job where you work. She must have hidden skills - perhaps scavenging. Or maybe it was a test to see what you would do when she answered the way she did. I bet you just smiled and said nothing...until she walked away and you had your evil chuckle. And thanks - I'm already afraid.

November 25, 2008  
Blogger Denise said...

I saw a bumper sticker today that said, "He who laughs last thinks slowest." Maybe you could get her one as a gesture for the cookie.

November 26, 2008  
Blogger daniel said...

deb - small, hairless rodents could get a job where i work. i believe several are currently employed in the economics group. you deserve much better than wall street.

denise - no need to get her a bumper sticker. i rejected her refuse cookies. made up for it today by eating two slices of coconut custard pie though.

mmmm, pie.

November 26, 2008  
Blogger Denise said...

Oh good. You've had pie, then. Now I'm off the hook for Thanksgiving -- right?

November 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home