Friday, October 05, 2007

A Good Parenting Moment

I'm not a particularly successful parent and as a result my enjoyment of some parenting responsibilities is low. Don't get me wrong, I love all my (many) children, am proud of their successes, and generally enjoy their company. Much of the time though my contributions to raising the small people constitute maintenance -- get them ready for and into bed, provide enough money for new dance outfits, keep them quiet in church, take them to soccer. Sometimes though, the mundane becomes sublime.

John was fussing last night around 10pm; he wanted to go to bed. I wasn't quite ready to bathe him yet since finishing my rapidly melting ice cream was more pressing, so I put him in my lap. This did nothing to quiet him. I tried singing and bouncing him without success. Thankfully for both of us, we discovered that just a little taste of ice cream gave him something better to do with his mouth than cry. This was the result:


The lesson I took away from this is that for me, stretching the rules of good parenting leads to fun and profit.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mo said...

That is a slippery slope my friend. One day its ice cream for the too young child, the next its insider trading and the slammer.

October 08, 2007  
Blogger daniel said...

if insider trading will keep him quiet i'm all for the nefarious use of materal non-public information.

October 08, 2007  
Blogger Denise said...

Wrong.

You are particularly successful.

And giving ice cream to a 9 week old baby is bad, even if he is chubby, smiley, and cute.

October 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home