Friday, January 02, 2009

Cheapskates

One of the amusing characters observable in a New York commute is the newspaper scavenger. This is not a garbage-digging homeless person (usually), but someone who picks up the discarded periodicals left behind by previous mass transit passengers. Almost every morning I see a small handful of people from my train walking through the aisles picking up bits of New York Times, Financial Times, and Wall Street Journals left by others.

I understand frugality, but it strikes me as unwise to pick up half a New York Post from the disease infested floor of a train in order to save fifty cents. People who commute from Connecticut or Westchester County are paying a few hundred dollars per month just for a train pass; you’d think that a couple quarters to procure phlegm-free reading material wouldn’t be too financially disruptive. I can’t help but chuckle when the guy with four hundred dollar shoes looks carefully in each row of seats for that missing page from the Journal’s C section.

This morning I observed a new low in newspaper scavenging. Trains were on a holiday schedule and I went in a little later than usual. There were a few familiar faces (hello coffee breath guy; good morning loud French-speaking cell phone talker) but I didn’t recognize most of the people. I was slower to leave the train than usual, waiting for the crowds to thin a little before pushing into the stairwell with Emma who joined me for the day. While we waited, one of the commuters I didn’t recognize made his way through the train in the familiar hunting pattern of a newspaper scavenger. Apparently unsatisfied with his findings, he went to newspaper recycling bin on the train platform. These are large metal mesh containers designed to prevent removal of their contents, but people often leave papers on the top in much the same way that charitable old women put out a bowl of seeds for chipmunks. My new friend did not find what he wanted there either.

This scavenger was middle-aged, dressed casually as befitted the nature of professional work on the first day of a new year, and nothing about him gave the appearance of frequent dumpster diving. However, he must have been desperate for a specific bit of reading material as he tentatively poked at the top layer of refuse in the garbage can next to the recycling bin. Although the platform was mostly clear and Emma was getting antsy to leave, I couldn’t move until I learned what he was after. Maybe I should be reading the same thing if it held such interest for him.

I was more than a little surprised when he pulled a crumpled paper from the trash and walked off triumphant. What treasure compelled this man to search a Metro North train, peer into a recycling container, and finally dig through trash? The Metro*.

Observing this reminded me of an even greater experience with foolish cheapskatedness. I’ll share that story soon.

* If you don’t live in an urban area, The Metro is given away free all over cities. You can’t walk five blocks – especially near transit centers – without being accosted by several people trying to hand you one.

10 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Reminds me a little of a companion I had on my mission. In Japan, they advertise with little packs of tissues. The tissue is coarse and low quality and akin to wiping your nose with elephant hide. Nevertheless, this companion was too cheap to buy toilet paper, so she would stand near the train station anytime we could and get as many of the tp packets as she could in one trip.

I bought toilet paper anyway.

January 03, 2009  
Blogger Bubba the Hutt said...

I served my mission in Taiwan, I'd always poop at the church because then A. I wouldn't have to buy TP and B. It minimized the chance of having to use the dreaded sqautter.

I've taken that same principle and applied it to my job. It's doubly effective because now not only do I not have to buy TP, but now I also get paid to poop.

January 04, 2009  
Blogger Denise said...

Bubba:
1. Girls use toilet paper for much more than poop. You need a daughter.

2. You're gross. But your friendship with Mike just made WAY more sense to me. Not that it didn't already seem like a pretty obvious fit...

January 04, 2009  
Blogger liz said...

this post reminded me of the trash can diggers for soda and beer cans. shopping-cart-pushing aluminum collectors with a route and routine never taking holidays off. maybe that was only in brooklyn?

January 04, 2009  
Blogger daniel said...

in my first missionary apartment, the other companionship always had financial problems. one of them took about three showers per day because he didn't have money to buy toilet paper. i'll let your imagination work on that imagery.

January 05, 2009  
Blogger Denise said...

Did you use that same shower? Did you clean it everyday? I think you should burn the bottom of each foot tonight before coming to bed.

Ewww...ewww...ewww

January 05, 2009  
Blogger PassTheChips said...

Japanese TP was the worst. It was either wax paper or sandpaper.

Daniel, did you ever need to squish any remains down the drain with your toes or did your companion take care of that? If so, what was his name? (He will never be allowed in my home. You would still be allowed as we have a pre-existing friendship, although you might lose a couple of friendship points if I find out you were a poo-squisher.)

January 05, 2009  
Blogger daniel said...

mike - i am certified squish-free. thankfully i never saw any residual evidence of his activities.

denise - you've seen missionary apartments vacated by elders. while you my be repressing memories, let me assure you that the shower was not the greatest health threat i faced.

January 06, 2009  
Blogger Denise said...

daniel - how does one become certified squish free? I would like to see your certificate.

January 06, 2009  
Blogger daniel said...

this is a public blog, we can't have that kind of activity taking place in the open.

January 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home