Friday, December 29, 2006

Sometimes A Rose Isn't A Rose

A friend from business school Bloomberged me a few days ago to report that his co-workers were discussing odd names. After listening for a while my friend told his co-workers my name, supposedly ending the discussion as nothing more unusual could be found.

As pleased as I am to be remembered and of use to a friend, I'm a little disappointed that a group of smart (by Wall Street standards at least) guys couldn't come up with anything better. Certainly there are more noteworthy names...right? Without resorting to apocryphal, vulgar, or celebrity names here are a few verifiable ones for the next time you find yourself in such a conversation:

Optimus Prime changed his name, potentially lessening its credibility. However, he changed it to the moniker of a Transformer so he gets points for style. Or something.

Espn has been used at least twice.

Yourhighness Morgan is a high school athlete in Florida. (Coincidentally, many years ago during a trip to celebrate my future sister-in-law's 30th birthday, my future wife provided me a wake up call using this title. I think that's when I fell for her.)

Another take on Yourhighness, with some extra weirdness thrown in for good measure.

Finally, in case you want further inspiration for a future child, you may find this book of use. The author is certainly two-thirds of the way to a fine name himself.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mumsy said...

Fred has a kid at school whose name is "YoMajesty." His homeroom teacher was telling Fred that on the first day of school she said to the little boy--"Is that your real name? (Yes.) We're going to call you 'Maj because in this classroom I'm 'your majesty'."

January 02, 2007  
Blogger Denise said...

Yeah, those are some great names. But Dude, your name is Daniel Daniel. Not clever. Not weird. Repetitive. Like there was no other good name out there so your parents just said, yes...this is a great tradition. Let's run with it! Huh? Peter, Michael, even Bartholomew -- but Daniel Daniel? WOW. And to know your parents one would never guess...oh wait a minute, I think I see the light quite clearly now...

January 03, 2007  
Blogger daniel said...

i think yomajesty might take the cake. even better if we can get it documented.

January 04, 2007  
Blogger Denise said...

BTW it was actually Deb's 28th B'day. She was on her honeymoon on her 30th. She would appreciate credit for the extra years, no doubt.

January 04, 2007  
Blogger daniel said...

noted.

January 05, 2007  
Blogger Get Fit in 2007 said...

My maiden name is Rapp. Well, I saw in my geneology a Sara Ann Rapp. What do you think about that?!

January 08, 2007  
Blogger daniel said...

i like the sara ann rapp. particularly good since they spelled it without a final 'h'.

sorry deb. i'm sure it's no surprise to you or anyone else that I would fail to correctly recall an important detail. my apologies.

January 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home