Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Career Advice #3

Here is the next installment in our Career Advice series.

On the Third Day of Christmas, my advice to you: Have something to add.

When you are asked, "So Suzy, why should we hire you instead of any of the eighteen thousand other qualified candidates for this job?" you must have an actual reason. Hint: everyone is smart, everyone wants the job, everyone will work long hours. If that's all you've got, our conversation is over.

I think this year I'll try an experiment with two hapless candidates who think their hard work and dedication are all it takes. They will be locked in a conference room with one laptop and both be told they have ninety minutes to prepare a deck of PowerPoint slides for different -- but equally essential -- client presentations. The one who emerges alive goes on to the second round of interviews. Alternatively, the first one who agrees to be catheterized and fed an intravenous diet of amphetamines so they never have to leave the desk wins a summer internship.

5 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Dear Mr. Daniel,

Thank you for the excellent career advice. After much thought and applying the principles you are teaching to my current position, I see that I am not in the right field of work afterall.

Consider this your two weeks notice.

Affectionately,

Hausfrau

December 06, 2006  
Blogger Mumsy said...

Brutal. I'm glad I'm a housewife.

December 06, 2006  
Blogger daniel said...

Ms hausfrau,

während köstliche Tiere Ihre Anwendung schätzt, haben wir keine passenden Öffnungen für Sie diesmal. wir wünschen Ihnen das beste des Glücks in Ihrer Suche.

respekt.

Delicious Animals Management

December 08, 2006  
Blogger Denise said...

All right, all right. I'll stay. Quit begging ne in German. It's embarrassing.

December 11, 2006  
Blogger Denise said...

Oh and by the way...if you are wishing me the best of luck in my search and you don't have any positions for me, just who is doing my job? And, where would you like me to go? And, when will the replacement arrive? And, go get your own stinkin' dry cleaning!

Merry Christmas

December 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home