Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Fate Worse Than Being A Turkey in November

I've recently been thinking a little about slavery. It started from an anthropological and historical perspective as a result of a book I'm reading. I'm reminded of it regularly as I pass the hidden stairway to our home's third floor; a stairway that we were told by the previous owner had been used to hide people traveling on the Underground Railroad. The topic was raised again two nights ago as a result of a comment my mother-in-law made.

I was deleting email at my desk for a few minutes between splits with the missionaries and a late evening business appointment. From the other room I overheard bits and pieces of a conversation Diane was having on the phone, I assume with one of her daughters. I don't know the context, but she said something like, "This house was built during the time of slavery and over the last couple of days slavery has been in effect again." Her actual statement was undoubtedly more eloquent. Given the amount of unpaid labor Denise's parents have been pressed into during their visit to our home this week, her words are probably accurate.

All these thoughts about involuntary subjugation have recalled one of my favorite bits of Book of Mormon imagery. In 2 Nephi 26 the prophet describes Satan leading people through temption with flaxen cords, "until he bindeth them with his strong cords forever." Once I understood the message behind that simple image it became a powerful motivator for trying to avoid willingly taking on seemingly minor forms of bondage. As horrible as the chains of physical slavery are, spiritual slavery is worse. I'm grateful this year for a Redeemer who invites, gathers, calls, leads, and provides an easy yoke that frees all those willing to trade in the shackles of sin and death.

Happy Thanksgiving.

3 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

And I am thankful for a spouse who sees the need to improve and change and acts upon those stirrings. Would that I should be so righteously motivated.

November 27, 2006  
Blogger Mo said...

I just want to know how you got away with binding your mother-in-law with flaxen cords. And where do you get flaxen cords. I could use them for the kids.

November 30, 2006  
Blogger daniel said...

that's why you need to move back to westchester: brewer's in mamaroneck carries a full line of flaxen cords for all your child restraint needs

December 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home