Tuesday, November 14, 2006

All The Small Things

I am often frustrated in Grand Central Station. It's very rarely anything significant. I dislike most of the advertising campaigns whose posters demand attention as I walk through the corridors. I don't like the people who come to a full stop in front of the monitors displaying track locations. I can't figure out why any train I need to take ever has to be all the way down on the lower level. What put me over the edge was the most recent recorded public address announcement.

The woman who makes it was a conductor on one of the trains I took with some regularity a year or so ago. She used to recite the full set of announcements about every two minutes until the train departed. This was frustrating to me as I try to arrive a least ten minutes before the scheduled departure to ensure I can get a seat. (I'm not a fan of standing.) Repeatedly hearing about all the stops we were going to visit, the courtesy warning to keep feet and baggage off seats, and the fact that tickets purchased on board the train are more expensive made me dislike the intrusion of her voice into my head. And now I hear that voice every time I walk to or from a train. The pacing, emphasis and even diction are all off. Here's her announcement:

"Attention Harlem, .... Hudson, ..... and New Haven CUSTomers. Please watch .... your step .... and beware. ..... OF the gap .... when entering ... and exiting th' train. Thangoovery mUCH."

This really irritates me, even thinking about it now.

Many aspects of Manhattan frustrate me, so why I am particularly bothered by these little things in the train station has been perplexing. I'm not particularly self-aware (and certainly not aware of others often enough) so I decided to think a little about why these minor things irritate me. I think it's a case of frustration by association. In the morning I am tired, my thoughts are already on the projects that lie ahead, and I am not thrilled to be starting ten to thirteen hours of work. In the evening I just want to get home and don't want to deal with the commute. So maybe my frustration is an indication of what a dedicated husband, father, and employee I am....

Nah, that can't be it. I'll have to keep thinking about this one.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I think you need an ipod.

November 16, 2006  
Blogger Denise said...

I think you need more sleep, a vacation, and...a kiss

November 17, 2006  
Blogger daniel said...

i've got the ipod and i've had all the other things at least once in the last twelve months. still get frustrated in gct.

maybe i need a bigger ipod?

November 17, 2006  
Blogger Denise said...

yeah, only 1 kiss a year does make things seem awful...sorry

November 17, 2006  
Blogger Mo said...

I have the solution. Next time the doofus stops in front of the departure schedule (or the top of the escalator, my pet peeve) just full on knock them down. That would be really fun, while slightly less than socially acceptable. I work really hard not to pick up the timid women (not sexist, just more often than not, women) that stop at the top of the escalator like they have never seen one before. Its as if they don't ride the same freaking escalator every day. Maybe if someone pushed them down it they would either just used to it, or take the stair and get out of my way...

November 30, 2006  
Blogger daniel said...

glad to see that in spite of having a dream commute now you haven't forgotten the many joys of GCT

December 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home